8 votes

Canon Avenue Bridge


Photo taken by John Reidy


BH Photo #152129

Street View 


Stone arch bridge over Fountain Creek on Canon Avenue in Manitou Springs
El Paso County, Colorado
Open to traffic
Built 1906; rehabilitated 1990
Stone arch
Span length: 21.0 ft.
Total length: 21.0 ft.
Deck width: 28.8 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
Approximate latitude, longitude
+38.85833, -104.91639   (decimal degrees)
38°51'30" N, 104°54'59" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
13/507254/4301059 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Manitou Springs
Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
Inventory number
BH 11853 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of May 2018)
Overall condition: Fair
Sufficiency rating: 62.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com


Arch (12,728)
Built 1906 (663)
Built during 1900s (7,736)
Colorado (749)
Deck arch (11,955)
El Paso County, Colorado (24)
Functionally obsolete (5,762)
Have street view (29,890)
NR-listed (3,015)
Open (41,202)
Owned by city (6,162)
Skewed (5,071)
Stone arch (3,309)
Total length under 25 feet (2,610)

Update Log 

  • June 22, 2018: New photos from Jeff Smail
  • April 26, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth



Canon Avenue Bridge
Posted October 29, 2009, by John Reidy (jmreidy [at] hotmail [dot] com)

A nearby historical plaque says: “This bridge was built in 1906 of Manitou greenstone. Manitou Springs still has most of its greenstone bridges, which replaced rustic wooden bridges. Greenstone was quarried around Manitou Springs from approximately 1890 to 1940 and is found only in this area. A Colorado Department of Transportation survey determined this bridge is the oldest and longest span (21' 5") of its type in the state. This bridge, and the almost identical Park Avenue Bridge (1907) located west of Soda Springs Park, feature semi-circular arches and decorative, recessed benches on each side. They remain architecturally and structurally intact and are still in use. The Canon Avenue and Park Avenue Bridges were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.”

Webmaster's note: The photos that were here have been incorporated into the main site.