Rochester & Eastern Rapid Railway
Reporting mark: R&E
The Rochester and Eastern Rapid Railway was an electric interurban railway connecting Rochester, Canandaigua, and Geneva. Chartered in 1901, service between Rochester and Canandaigua began in 1903, and to Geneva in 1904. In 1905 the line came under control of the New York Central Railroad through its Mohawk Valley Company subsidiary. The Rochester and Eastern Rapid Railway was consolidated with the Rochester Railway Company and the Rochester and Sodus Bay Railway in 1909 to form New York State Railways. Ridership declined sharply through the 1920s, and New York State Railways petitioned to abandon the R&E in 1929. Months later the courts granted permission to end all service on July 31, 1930. The line was dismantled soon after and there was no successor.
(Ontario County, New York)Built 1903Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Lehigh Valley Railway on Rochester & Eastern Rapid RailwayRemoved