Mason City & Clear Lake Railway
Reporting mark: MC&CL
The Mason City & Clear Lake Traction Company was incorporated on December 5, 1896 by W.E.Brice and L. H Ong. Construction on the railway began shortly thereafter. Official service began between the two communities on July 4 1897. The Clear Lake Terminal was the "Oaks Hotel, on the lakefront, and the Mason City Terminal was the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad depot on 4th Street Northeast in Mason City.
In the early 1900's the company name was changed to Mason City & Clear Lake Railway. In 1910, Peoples Gas & Electric Company acquired the operation and changed the title to the Mason City & Clear Lake Railroad Company. The entire operaton---railroad and utilities---came under the control of the United Light and & Railways company in 1913.
The increasing popularity of the automobile and the Great Deppression of the 1930's brought a decline in services, until the final run of the last scheduled interurban passenger service on August 30, 1936
Main Street Bridge
(Cerro Gordo County, Iowa)Built 1910; Removed ca. 1970Lost Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Willlow Creek on Main StreetRemoved
Main Street Triple Bridge
(Cerro Gordo County, Iowa)Built 1897; Replaced ca. 1908Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Willow Creek on Main Street and Mason City & Clear Lake RailwayReplaced by a new bridge