Oregon Creek Covered Bridge 05-58-01
Photo taken 1992 by Larry Matthews
BH Photo #101327
The future is bright for this wonderful bridge. It is scheduled for a rehabilitation in 2016. Update, 2018, it is reopened to light motor traffic. Covering has been reconstructed and original truss remains in use.
The Oregon Creek Bridge was built in 1860 by Thomas Freeman on Alleghany Road and was known at the time as Freemans Crossing bridge. It is located just off Highway 49 where it crosses Oregon Creek near the entrance to Oregon Creek Campground. It is over seventy-seven feet long. It was an important crossing on the Middle Yuba road providing mining towns most needed supplies from Central Valley towns. In 1883 a dam on the Middle Yuba River called English Dam broke, and washed down mountains of logs and debris, blocking Oregon Creek. The waters flowed upstream, washing the bridge off its foundation and upstream over 100 feet. As the waters subsided, it washed back downstream 150 feet. Using oxen teams and log rollers, the bridge was pulled back upstream and reattached to its foundation. It was swapped 180 degrees in the process so the east end is now west and the west end east. -- backcountryexplorers.com
- Covered bridge over Oregon Creek on Alleghany Ridge Road at Oregon Creek Campground
- Yuba County, California
- Open to light traffic
- Built 1860 by Thomas Freeman, closed 2010, rehabilitated and reopened 2017
- - Thomas Freeman
- Covered Singular Howe pony truss bridge.
Length of largest span: 77.1 ft.
Total length: 101.1 ft.
Deck width: 11.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 327.8 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 30, 1975
- Also called
- Freeman's Crossing Covered Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.39694, -121.08194 (decimal degrees)
39°23'49" N, 121°04'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/665161/4362582 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2005)
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 05-58-01 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 75000499 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
CA 16C-17 (California bridge number)
BH 11758 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 17.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 9, 2019: New photos from Larry Matthews
- March 30, 2018: Updated by James Baughn: Merged duplicate pages
- March 29, 2018: Updated by Craig Philpott: updated status, open
- January 19, 2018: Backcountry Explorers
- October 13, 2015: Updated by Erik Hoffman: Fixed design and road name
- October 12, 2015: Updated by Erik Hoffman: To be rehabilitated and reopened to automobiles in 2016!
- October 11, 2015: Updated by Erik Hoffman: Rehab possible soon
- July 3, 2011: New photos from Craig Philpott
- December 4, 2008: New photo from Larry Matthews
- October 16, 2006: Posted photo from Larry Matthews