"I" Street Bridge
I Street Bridge Sacramento
Driving West into portal, railroad deck is below
Photo taken by Craig Philpott in May 2010
BH Photo #166362
Double deck swing bridge with two railroad tracks on lower deck and auto traffic on upper deck.
- Swing bridge over Sacramento River, carries railroad tracks and "I" Street in West Sacramento
- Sacramento, Yolo County, California, and Sacramento County, California
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- New highway bridge to be constructed. Fate of existing historic bridge not certain at this time. Section 106 should apply to this project.
- Built 1911
- - American Bridge Co. of New York (Superstructure)
- John D. Isaacs (Design)
- Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co. of Leavenworth, Kansas (Substructure)
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- Amtrak California (CDTX)
- Southern Pacific Railroad (SP)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
Length of largest span: 194.9 ft.
Total length: 854.0 ft.
Deck width: 30.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.8 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 22, 1982
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.58627, -121.50649 (decimal degrees)
38°35'11" N, 121°30'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/630078/4271923 (zone/easting/northing)
- 38 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- CA 22C-153 (California bridge number)
NRHP 82002233 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 11734 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 01/2016)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 71.4 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2007)
- June 11, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Riveted"
- January 19, 2016: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- December 1, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- January 27, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- June 18, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated status, NRHP number, and builders.
- September 21, 2012: New photos from Jann Mayer
- August 16, 2011: New photo from Brian Smith
- May 25, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: Refined design added photos
- May 1, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: corrected location