Tower Bridge (1934)
Sacramento Tower Bridge
Photo taken by C Hanchey in August 2008
BH Photo #134992
The Sacramento River Bridge, also known as the Tower Bridge, and as the M Street Bridge, when built, was determined eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and listed in the Register in 1951. The bridge represents a rare use of Streamlined Moderne architectural styling in a lift bridge, making it an outstanding expression of the social and architectural climate of the period. It was also a major link in transcontinental highway U.S. 40, and has long served as the main formal gateway to California's capital city.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Vertical lift bridge over Sacramento River on CA 275 in West Sacramento
- Sacramento, Yolo County, California, and Sacramento County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1934 by George Pollock & Company; Trolley tracks removed from median and converted to vehiclular lanes in 1963
- - Alfred Eichler
- George Pollock & Co.
- - Interurban
- Sacramento Northern Railway (SN)
- Vertical lift with span drive
Length of largest span: 209.0 ft.
Total length: 737.9 ft.
Deck width: 51.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 24, 1982
- Also called
- Sacramento River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.58000, -121.50667 (decimal degrees)
38°34'48" N, 121°30'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/630074/4271227 (zone/easting/northing)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory numbers
- CA 22-21 (California bridge number)
NRHP 82004845 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 11746 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 52.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 5, 2018: New photos from Jann Mayer
- March 12, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Alfred Eichler"
- March 11, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Alfred Eichler"
- October 4, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- January 26, 2012: HAER photos posted by Michael Goff
- November 21, 2011: New photo from Michael Goff
- August 27, 2011: New photos from Sean Dickinson
- September 5, 2010: New photos from Craig Philpott
- May 25, 2010: New photos from Craig Philpott
- March 8, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: Added Street view
- March 7, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Craig Philpott - craigphilpott63 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Tower Bridge - Bridge history page
- Sean Dickinson - SLDdigital [at] live [dot] com
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER CA-73 - Sacramento River Bridge, Spanning Sacramento River at CA State Highway 275, Sacramento, Sacramento County, CA
- Douglas Butler
- Jann Mayer - jannmayer [at] gmail [dot] com