Historic Dardanelles Bridge
1933 Dardanelles Bridge carrying California Highway 108 over Middle Fork of Stanislaus River
Photo taken by Mike Buckley in July 2011
BH Photo #206275
Historic Dardanelles Bridge was built in 1933 to carry California highway 108 (Sonora Pass Road) over the middle fork of the Stanislaus River. A rock formation reminiscent of the Dardanelles in Turkey narrows the river to about 30 feet at this point. Detailed information about the bridge canbe found here: http://auscanusa.com/pdfs/CaliforniaTrip.pdf
A modern concrete box bridge was built immediately next to the old Dardanelles Bridge and finished in about 1990.
Bridge is the last known remaining Scissors truss in the US.
- Lost Timber Scissors deck truss bridge over Middle Fork Stanislaus River on California Route 108
- Tuolumne County, California
- Destroyed by the Donnell Wildfire on Aug. 6, 2018
- Built in 1933 by the firm of M. A. Jenkins and J. W. Hoopes of Sacramento, CA.
- - J. W. Hoopes
- M. A. Jenkins
- Redwood timber Scissors deck truss bridge with redwood timber stringer approaches.
Length of largest span: 71.0 ft.
Total length: 97.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 30, 1989
- Also called
- Hwy 108 Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.34059, -119.82644 (decimal degrees)
38°20'26" N, 119°49'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/252974/4247386 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 5800 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP K (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 49257 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 7, 2018: This bridge was a total loss in a wildfire on Aug. 6, 2018
- September 3, 2012: New photos from Craig Philpott
- February 1, 2012: HAER photos posted by Michael Goff
- November 26, 2011: New Street View added by Craig Philpott
- July 31, 2011: Updated by Craig Philpott: located on map, refined description
- July 30, 2011: Added by Mike Buckley
- Mike Buckley
- Craig Philpott - craigphilpott63 [at] gmail [dot] com
- HAER CA-72 - Middle Fork Stanislaus River Bridge, Spans Middle Fork Stanislaus River at State Highway 108, Dardanelle, Tuolumne County, CA