East Fork Kaweah River Bridge
Kaweah River Bridge Mineral King Road Sequoia NP 2 Calif
1923 Bridge carries Mineral King Road over the Keweah River
Photo taken by Mike Buckley in July 2011
BH Photo #206295
Written by Mike Buckley
Mineral King, a huge granitic canyon in California's Sierra Nevada mountains, now part of Sequoia National Park, was a mining site starting in about 1870. By 1879 a 25 mile long private toll road was built from the small community of Hammond on the lower reaches of the Kaweah River into Mineral King, but it was not profitable. In 1884 the road was deeded to the County of Tulare, which also did not have funds to improve or even adequately maintain it.
By 1910, however, automobile trips to scenic places in the mountains became increasingly popular, and small resorts sprang up in the Mineral King area. Construction of a new road with a bridge over the Kaweah River began in 1911 and was finished in 1913. The 1913 bridge was a redwood and cedar truss structure spanning 115 feet. It soon showed signs of sagging, and by 1923 the County had to replace the old bridge with the existing concrete arch structure.
The Mineral King area, including the road and 1923 bridge are included in the Mineral King Cultural Landscape on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003 as number 2003001063.
More detail can be found at: http://www.mineralking.org/Mineral_King_Road_Cooridor/The_Ne...
- Open spandrel Concrete arch bridge over East Fork Kaweah River on Mineral King Road
- Tulare County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1923
- Open Spandrel concrete deck arch
Length of largest span: 66.9 ft.
Total length: 107.9 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.44946, -118.79295 (decimal degrees)
36°26'58" N, 118°47'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/339319/4035295 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Case Mountain
- Average daily traffic (as of 1978)
- Inventory numbers
- CA 46C-196 (California bridge number)
BH 11702 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 68.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 21, 2011: Updated by Craig Philpott: refined design
- July 31, 2011: Essay added by Mike Buckley
- July 17, 2011: Updated by Craig Philpott: corrected location