South Fork Kaweah River Bridge
Replacement 2013 South Fork Kaweah River Bridge
Photo taken by Craig Philpott in January 2019
BH Photo #442715
Bridge hasn't been replaced. Pictures supposedly show that the bridge was replaced in 2013. However,
1) Satellite view shows it as existing, which is normally not reliable, but nearby fires and constructions shown on satellite indicate it was updated in 2017.
2) Sufficiency rating from inspection in 2016 is 48/100, which is more consistent with a 50+ year old pony truss than a modern, recently built UCEB.
3) Records from 2016 inspection mentioned above still list the bridge as "truss-thru" and as built in 1952, not 2013.
4) Satellite views show that the road on both sides of the bridge is gravel. The road approaches in the supposed replacement pictures are paved.
I'm not entirely sure which bridge these pictures are of, but I think it was the wrong location. All indications show the truss bridge is still in existence. It appears that these pictures are actually of the Grouse Valley Road bridge, which is the next bridge downstream from this one.
- Pony truss bridge over South Fork Kaweah River on M348
- Tulare County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1952
- Bailey pony truss
Length of largest span: 79.7 ft.
Total length: 82.0 ft.
Deck width: 11.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.35130, -118.77865 (decimal degrees)
36°21'05" N, 118°46'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/340400/4024382 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Dennison Peak
- Average daily traffic (as of 1978)
- Inventory numbers
- CA 46C-195 (California bridge number)
BH 11710 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 48 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 9, 2019: Updated by Erik Hoffman: Bridge hasn't been replaced, pictures of 'replacement' are in wrong location. See description
- January 20, 2019: New photos from Craig Philpott
- Craig Philpott - craigphilpott63 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Erik Hoffman - norcalroadswebsite [at] gmail [dot] com