Contextual View Of Walker Bridge With Approaches, Overlooking Highway 96 (In Foreground); Facing Southeast
Photo taken by Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #138956
History of Folsom - Walker Bridge
This bridge was originally built across the American River in 1893 replacing the Ecklon Toll Bridge, a suspension bridge that had collapsed the year before. It was used for carrying horses, wagons, and livestock across the American River. At that time, some said it was the finest bridge in the country. For the first few years there were few automobiles that needed to cross its narrow span and it was not designed to carry the weight but after the turn of the century the need for a bridge for automobiles became more evident. The Truss Bridge was abandoned in 1917 when the Rainbow Bridge opened.
The bridge was originally to be shipped to Japan, however the war intervened, and the bridge remained untouched until 1930. The bridge remained in place until the State of California bought it for $250 and moved it to Siskiyou County as a crossing on the Klamath River. From 1930 until the late 1990's it was known as Walker Bridge, as it spanned the Klamath on Walker Road. When Siskiyou County decided they no longer needed the bridge in 1998, Folsom bought it back. The original footings were still in place but they and the bridge were totally rebuilt and reinstalled. On April 15, 2000 it was reopened for public use as a bicycle and pedestrian bridge. In recognition that its original design was not for automobiles, there is a sign on each end of the bridge which reads "$5 fine for driving over this bridge faster than a walk. $25 fine for driving more than 20 head of horses, 50 head of cattle or 200 sheep, hogs or goats over this bridge at one time."
- Pennsylvania through truss bridge over Klamath River on Walker Bridge Connection Road
- Siskiyou County, California
- Replaced by new bridge, moved to new location for pedestrian usage
- Built in Folsom, CA 1893, Moved to Siskiyou Co. 1932, Replaced and Moved 1997
- - Gutleben Brothers Bridge Co. of San Francisco, California (Dismantler & Re-Erector)
- San Francisco Bridge Co. of San Francisco, California (Engineers & Original Builder)
- The Walker Bridge is a 330' steel Pennsylvania Petit truss, built in 1893 in Folsom, Sacramento County, California and moved to this site by the California Division of Highways (predecessor to Caltrans) in 1931.
Length of largest span: 330.1 ft.
Total length: 373.0 ft.
Deck width: 9.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Klamath River Bridge
Walker Connection Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.83724, -122.86476 (decimal degrees)
41°50'14" N, 122°51'53" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/511229/4631714 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- McKinley Mountain
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- CA 02C-80 (California bridge number)
BH 42423 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 98 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 17, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- June 22, 2010: New Street View added by Craig Philpott
- April 22, 2009: Essay added by Michael Goff