Dumbarton Toll Bridge
Historical Article About Bridge
PDF (2.5 MB)
Source: Engineering News-Record
The first highway bridge to cross San Francisco Bay was this bridge it was built in 1924 and completed and dedicated on January 15th 1927. It was 6.5 miles in length the state bought the bridge in 1951. In 1982 a new bridge was completed and declared worthless by the highway department. On September 24 1984 ironically the 72 anniversary of the dedication of the Dumberton Railway Bridge witch was the first railway bridge to cross San Francisco Bay. The first Highway bridge to do so was blasted away it cost 1 million dollars more to destroy than to build. 1500 feet of approach spans are left as Fishing piers on each side of the bay.
source "California Drawbridges" Bernard C. Winn
- Lost Pratt through truss bridge over San Francisco Bay on Route 84
- San Mateo County, California, and Alameda County, California
- Built 1927, Replaced 1982
- - Dumbarton Bridge Co.
- Harrington, Howard & Ash of Kansas City, Kansas & New York, New York (Design)
- Healy-Tibbitts Construction Co. of San Francisco, California (Substructure Contractor)
- Moore Drydock Co. of Oakland, California (Superstructure Contractor)
- Pratt through truss vertical lift, with eight fixed Parker truss approach spans. Total length without concrete pile trestle approaches: 2070.3
Length of largest span: 228.3 ft.
Total length: 6,370.3 ft. (1.2 mi.)
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Also called
- Ravens Point
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.50674, -122.11685 (decimal degrees)
37°30'24" N, 122°07'01" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/578055/4151455 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 61078 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 18, 2022: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added builders, engineers, and lengths, corrected truss type from Pratt to Parker.
- May 18, 2018: Updated by Leslie R trick: Added info to description
- September 6, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- June 15, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- April 6, 2016: New photo from Luke
- July 28, 2014: Updated by Luke: Added loss date
- May 27, 2014: Added by Douglas Butler