In 1858 the First bridge to cross the Sacramento River was authorized to be build as a private toll bridge. The bridge opened on June 27th 1858 The bridge's swing span had 17 rollers and could be opened and closed by one man with a ten foot iron spike In 1869 the bridge fell victim to a flood or fire in 1869
Source "California Drawbridges" Bernard C. Winn
- Lost Deck truss swing bridge over Sacramento River on Broad street
- Sacramento, Sacramento County, California, and Yolo County, California
- Destroyed by disaster
- Built 1858 Destroyed by flood or fire 1869
- Deck truss
Total length: 800.0 ft.
Deck width: 28.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.58492, -121.50675 (decimal degrees)
38°35'06" N, 121°30'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/630058/4271773 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 81609 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 21, 2018: New photo from Douglas Butler
- May 18, 2018: Updated by Leslie R Trick: Added info to description.
- May 16, 2018: Added by Leslie R Trick
- Leslie R Trick - Leslie [dot] Trick [at] gmail [dot] com
- Douglas Butler