The bridge was on the declaration route of the Lincoln Highway.
During 1927 the bridge became a part of 'Lincoln Highway' that at the time provided the best and fastest route between New York and San Francisco, and from 1915 to 1948 the bridge provided the main connection between Folsom and Orangevale. During this time the bridge connected the citrus groves, orchards and produce gardens of Orangevale, Fair Oaks and Carmichael with the processing and shipping businesses in Folsom.
Drury D. Butler. During the period when Butler first became the Sacramento County Surveyor [Engineer], the counties were responsible for providing the bridges for State Highways.
Butler planned and designed a commercial gateway road project in Folsom to connect the fruit producing areas across the river in Orangevale, Fair Oaks and Carmichael, with the railhead in Folsom. This project required three new bridges and utilized Theodore Judahís abandoned Central California Railroad bed. One bridge was build during each of the three years that it took to build this economically important project. The Orangevale Avenue Bridge over Gold Creek was the first, completed in 1915. This bridge was the first open spandrel reinforced concrete arch, a relatively new structure type, built in Sacramento County.
There are 38 bridges built by the County during Butlerís time in office that are still in use today. He had oversight of the four Joseph Strauss bascule bridges built over the Sacramento River; he built the 12th Street Bridge and the Folsom Rainbow Bridge over the American River. The H Street steel through Truss Bridge over the American River was designed and built under his leadership.
Source: American Society of Civil Engineers, Northern California Section. See:http://asce-sacto.org/images/downloads/Documents/sacramento_....