Photo taken by Craig Philpott
BH Photo #190400
The bridge opened for traffic on New Years day 1930 it was built as a joint venture between Sacramento and Yolo Counties. Nothing major happened with the bridge till 1992 when the tender house was replaced and the controls computerized it has an average of 500 openings a year.
Source "California Drawbridges" Bernard C. Winn
- Bascule bridge over Sacramento River in Freeport
- Sacramento County, California, and Yolo County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1929; rehabilitated 1955
- - C.W. Deterding, Jr of Sacramento, California (County Engineer)
- Nystedt, C.J. (Contractor)
- Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- Movable Bascule center section with riveted Pratt through truss components and a Warren pony truss approach on the East end.
Length of largest span: 226.1 ft.
Total length: 655.9 ft.
Deck width: 21.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.45588, -121.50175 (decimal degrees)
38°27'21" N, 121°30'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/630807/4257457 (zone/easting/northing)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- Inventory numbers
- CA 24C-1 (California bridge number)
BH 11297 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 26.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 21, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- May 18, 2018: Updated by Leslie R Trick: Added info to description.
- November 30, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- October 5, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- November 22, 2011: Updated by Craig Philpott: refined design
- December 14, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: Added contractor information
- May 1, 2010: New Street View added by Craig Philpott
- Craig Philpott - craigphilpott63 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Douglas Butler
- Leslie R Trick - Leslie [dot] Trick [at] gmail [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs