Larkin Street Bridge
Larkin Street Bridge
View to NW showing extensive concrete reinforcement under original span
Photo taken by Craig Philpott
BH Photo #192365
According to the 1917 Yearbook of the Monterey High School, "Because the school was surrounded by ravines and forest, the only way students could get into the school site was across the Larkin Street Bridge. The Larkin Street bridge was built exclusively to service the school, so they built the bridge before they built the school. The bridge was an engineering marvel of its time. The design is a suspension bridge, much like the Gold Gate bridge except encased in concrete. It remains one of the only bridges left in the country of this design.
- Canticrete deck truss bridge over Hartnell Gulch on Larkin Street
- Monterey, Monterey County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1914; Rehabilitated 2007
- - John B. Leonard of Union City, Michigan (Engineer)
- Described in the book, Historic Highway Bridges of California, as a "canticrete" bridge, invented by John B. Leonard. A mixed design using steel trusses within the arch ribs, the trusses are cantilevered from the foundation piers and pinned together at the crest of the arch. (The truss was used to forgo normal falsework used to build an arch. As well Leonard used rebar throughout the arches).
Length of largest span: 60.0 ft.
Total length: 106.0 ft.
Deck width: 21.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Hartnell Gulch
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.59694, -121.90000 (decimal degrees)
36°35'49" N, 121°54'00" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/598389/4050724 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2008)
- Inventory numbers
- CA 44C-82 (California bridge number)
BH 47075 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2016)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 40.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- September 8, 2014: Updated by Royce and Bobette Haley: Rehabilitaded date and expanded on the design
- July 21, 2013: Updated by Mike Lynch: historical picture and information on bridge. Also some additional close-up pictures of bridge features.
- January 16, 2011: New photos from Craig Philpott
- November 23, 2010: Added by Michael Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Craig Philpott - craigphilpott63 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Mike Lynch - lynch3212 [at] wavecable [dot] com
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com