Henry Ford Bridge
Designed to carry two rail lines, two lanes of auto traffic and a pedestrian lane this bridge was 70 feet wide. It was reported to be the largest and heaviest of its kind in the world. The bridge is a trunnion bascule bridge. It was designed by the master of trunnion bascule bridge design, Joseph B. Strauss who also was the chief engineer for the Golden Gate Bridge. One of the rail lines on the bridge was a trolley line which was removed in the 1940's. The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1978 due to safety concerns and is little used and left in the up position most of the time. The harbor commission has long term plans to replace it which it announced in 1994.
- Bridge over Cerritos Channel on Los Angles Harbor Belt Railway
- Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California
- Demolished and replaced.
- Built 1923-24; Replaced 1996
- - American Bridge Co. of New York (Bridge Fabrication)
- Joseph Strauss (Design)
- Ross Construction Co. of Los Angles, California (Erection)
- Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois (Design Engineer)
- - Pacific Harbor Line (PHL)
- 2 110 foot trunnion bascule leaves forming a one span polygonal Warren through truss; 2 50 foot tower spans and 2 timber approaches of 220 feet.
Length of largest span: 220.0 ft.
Total length: 760.0 ft.
Deck width: 70.0 ft.
- Also called
- Cerritos Channel Bridge
Badger Avenue Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.76109, -118.24058 (decimal degrees)
33°45'40" N, 118°14'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/385111/3736357 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 9 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 45202 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 26, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- February 18, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- August 30, 2014: Updated by Luke: Added loss year
- August 30, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- February 6, 2012: HAER photos posted by Mike Goff
- June 16, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: Corrected name, design, span length.
- January 16, 2011: Updated by Craig Philpott: Changed name, duplicate bridge
- May 9, 2010: Added by Ed Hollowell