Devil's Gate is the narrow gorge where the Arroyo Seco comes crashing down out of the San Gabriel Mountains. Just to the east by 100 m Flint Canyon creek enters the Arroyo Seco. In 1896 a bridge was built across both the Arroyo Seco and Flint Canyon Creek carrying Oak Grove Drive (Oak Grove Park, now Hahamongna Watershed Park, is on the west side of the Arroyo). A large flood control dam was built just to the south of the bridge with a road on top which carried Oak Grove Drive. The original bridge was demolished not long after the dam was completed. From about 1920 to 1955 Oak Grove traffic went over the top of the dam. In 1955 a second Oak Grove Bridge was built just to the south of the dam and traffic was moved off of the dam and back to a separate bridge. The bases for the piers of the original bridge are still in place and used for anchors for booms to control debris.
Built 1896, replaced by Devil's Gate Dam, new bridge added in 1955
Length of largest span: 141.1 ft.
Total length: 420.0 ft.
Deck width: 56.8 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+34.18499, -118.17397(decimal degrees) 34°11'06" N, 118°10'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
USGS topographic map
CA 53C-1829 (California bridge number)
BH 48263 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 08/2010)
Deck condition rating: Poor(4 out of 9) Superstructure condition rating: Good(7 out of 9) Substructure condition rating: Good(7 out of 9) Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 77.8 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 1998)
October 26, 2012: Updated by David Kimbrough: Include new name of park.
August 1, 2011: Updated by David Kimbrough: Added a more definitive date of construction for the first bridge.
April 1, 2011: Updated by David Kimbrough: A new photo was added and construction dates were changed.