Ground Breaking Where "Battle of San Gabriel" was Fought Marks End of 10-Year Campaign
MONTEBELLO - The past, present, and future joined hands today on one of the Southland's most historic sites, that of the "Battle of San Gabriel". William A. Smith, Supervisor of the First District, officiated at the ground breaking ceremonies for the $316,832 Washington Blvd. bridge in this City.
Because the bridge is located near the place where the United States Army under command of Gen. Stockton crossed the river in 1847 in the last armed conflict against the Mexicans for possession of California, the bridge, when completed, will be dedicated the General Stockton Bridge.
"The ground breaking is the first material step in completion of a 10-year campaign carried on by civic leaders of Whittier, Pic, Montebello, and Los Angeles for thoroughfare east, connecting Los Angels and Whittier" declared Supervisor Smith.
Smith was responsible for Los Angeles County's appropriation and the W.P.A. grant. He also has obtained two historic cannon used in the battle which will be mounted at the approach of the bridge.
Mrs. George E. Wilfret, Montebello's historian, in co-operation with the California State Historical Landmark Commission, is responsible for the locating of the historic site - for years thought to be just south of the Whittier Blvd. Bridge.
Herbert C. Legg, W.P.A. Administrator for Southern California; Burl Martin, secretary of the Whittier Chamber of Commerce; E. Murray Arenschield, Councilman of Montebello, and other county officials and civic leaders appeared on the program.