Bridges of Los Angeles County
Video posted by David Kimbrough
by Telegraph to the The Times
The accurate and comprehensive reports printed in the local columns of yesterday's TIMES brought every detail of information concerning the storm down to 4 a.m. yesterday. At that hour the moon was out feebly, and the clouds were pretty well broken through the sky. The worst of the storm and its results seemed to be over, though there were apprehensions that the rainfall in the mountains might swell the river and play havoc at a later morning hour. Fortunately, these fears were unfounded that at 4:30 the hoarse roar of the river, audible over the whole city, threatened further danger.
The river continued to fall steadily during the morning and the rain, which fell during the day yesterday, was not in itself sufficient to excite apprehension, save that it indicated an indisposition on the part of the storm to "let up".
At noon the TIMES reporter began a personal round of inspection of the whole district affected by the flood, first visiting the northern river front. The northern most point of damage in the city was at the UPPPER S.P.R.R. BRIDGE half a mile above Downey avenue. On bent of this carried out, probably by the sudden impact of some heavy piece of drift. The fine work done by the Southern Pacific on the track along the foot of the high bluffs from the aforesaid bridge to the yard limits saved it from a repetition of last years bad break there. A large amount of the heavy stone wall built there to protect the track, however, was undermined, and sank into the river.
THE ALISO-STREET BRIDGE
The pretentious iron structure which spans the river at Aliso street will take longer to put back into shape than any of its fellows. Very nearly 200 feet of the high approaches at the west end is gone, and the strong currents rolls through the gap. The street-car bridge, which runs beside the carriage bridge on its north side, is an even worse sufferer. The length covered by the earth approaches of the main structure was covered by the straight bridge in the minor: and the one has lost within 50 feet of as much bridge as the former has lost of approach. A hundred feet of the car-track, still attached to the western stump of the car bridge, trails disconsontely down river.
The City Council was called to order at 7:10 o'clock, President Moran in the chair.
Bids were opened on the building of the First street bridge for $9647 and the Aliso street bridge for $2497 by M. H. Ledbetter. The bid of E. Gay, for the building of the First street bridge was $3250. On motion both bids were referred to the Board of Public Works.
The seventh franchise issued was approved June 26, 1875, the opening clause of which reads as follows:
"AN ORDINANCE granting a franchise for street railroad in the City of’ Los Angeles to William H. Workman and A. H. Judson and their assigns. "—and provided for a franchise for a period of thirty years, for a single track horsecar line. Route, from Arcadia and Main Streets, via Arcadia, Aliso Street, Aliso Avenue to Soto Street. This road was put in operation sometime in 1876.
The builders of this road were
* W. H. Workman,
* W. H. Perry,
* J. B. Hollenbeck, first President of the First National Bank, and
* E. F. Spence, then Cashier and later President of the First National Bank
The track was a narrow gauge; used twenty-pound rail; one horsecar was operated; trip every one and a half hours.
Routing the line, as it would read today would be Arcadia, Aliso Street, Pleasant Avenue, First to Soto. At that time Aliso Street started at Los Angeles and continued along this route east to the city limits on First Street. This line was extended a few months later on Main Street to Temple Block to connect with the Spring and Sixth Street line and the Main Street and Agricultural Park Line.
First Street was not opened at this time.
At Easter Week in 1884, floods destroyed the Aliso Street Bridge and the Downey Avenue Bridge and left the Macy Street bridge—these being the only bridges across the Los Angeles River at that time.
For months after the flood the passengers from the Aliso Street car line walked over improvised gangplanks to cross the river and were thus transferred from car to car. This was the second line put in operation in Los Angeles. The Main Street and Agricultural Park line being the third.