PE - El Prado Bridge
SPRR over Torrance Blvd.
Northeast view from embankment
BH Photo #115953
Torrance’s preservation of the Pacific Electric Railway — El Prado Bridge has earned the city a Preservation Award from the Los Angeles Conservancy, officials with the nonprofit announced Thursday.
More than $400,000 was spent to refurbish the landmark that spans Torrance Boulevard for the city’s centennial in 2012.
“This Torrance icon and signature work of architect Irving Gill reclaimed its modern elegance through careful repair and stabilization, just in time for its 100th birthday,” the conservation said in its award announcement.
- Concrete tee beam bridge over Torrance Blvd on former Southern Pacific RR (nee-Pacific Electric) in Torrance
- Torrance, Los Angeles County, California
- Restored 2012, reopened to pedestrians
- Built 1913, refurbished/restored 2012
- - Irving Gill (Architect)
- - Interurban
- Pacific Electric Railway (PE)
- Southern Pacific Railroad (SP)
- Concrete tee beam with cosmetic archwork
Length of largest span: 34.1 ft.
Total length: 153.9 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1989
- Also called
- SP - Torrance Boulevard Overpass
Pacific Electric Railroad Bridge
PE - Torrance Boulevard Overpass
Pacific Electric Torrance Boulevard Overpass
Southern Pacific Railroad Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.83766, -118.31165 (decimal degrees)
33°50'16" N, 118°18'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/378637/3744929 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- CA 53C-1564 (California bridge number)
BH 36749 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 26, 2020: Updated by Geoff Hubbs: Adjusted map location
- March 13, 2015: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge rehabilitated 2012, reopened, article linked
- October 23, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected name to most commonlu used name
- October 3, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Edited Bridge
- April 22, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added Architect and date of listing NRHP
- June 26, 2008: Updated by Max Johnson: Added to Southern Pacific railroad category
- June 26, 2008: Added by David Kimbrough
- David Kimbrough - kimbrough-photo [at] charter [dot] net
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Geoff Hubbs