Valley Boulevard Alhambra Wash Bridge
Valley Blvd. Bridge over Alhambra Wash
North side balustrade
BH Photo #114555
The Invisible Brdige
Written by David Kimbrough
This bridge crosses the Alhambra Wash, a natural water course that has been channelized for flood control purposes, although the bridge was built before the wash was channelized. In recent years, Valley Blvd. has undergone significant changes and has become much more highly commercialized that it had been. On both sides of Valley at the Alhambra Wash, major businesses have opened. On the south of Valley next to the wash where a drive-in theater once stood there is now a huge shopping mall. On north side next to the wash was a small motel, which is now a six story Hilton. With lots of demand for parking and little open space, both of these two businesses petitioned the Flood Control District to cover the wash with concrete decks for additional parking, which was granted. As a result, the wash and the bridge are entirely invisible from Valley Blvd. Only the balustrade is visible which looking siding for the parking lots rather than sides of bridge. Driving bye, one would never know there was a stream or bridge.
- Concrete arch bridge over Alhambra Wash on Valley Blvd. in San Gabriel
- Los Angeles County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1931
Length of largest span: 32.2 ft.
Total length: 39.0 ft.
Deck width: 76.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.08000, -118.10167 (decimal degrees)
34°04'48" N, 118°06'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/398356/3771573 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- El Monte
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- CA 53C-345 (California bridge number)
BH 11055 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2016)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 95.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- September 9, 2012: New Street View added by David Kimbrough
- September 16, 2008: Updated by David Kimbrough
- May 30, 2008: Essay added by David Kimbrough