Sacramento River Bridge
Sacramento River Hwy 162
Photo taken by Craig Philpott in March 2010
BH Photo #157215
Work was started by Johnson Western Company on the substructure and approaches in March 1947. The Judson, Pacific-Murphy Corporation was the contractor for the superstructure. Cost was one-half million dollars.
Opening of the bridge ended the state operated trans-river ferry that began May 1941. This was the last state operated ferry on the Sacramento River and the ferry was sent down river to Stockton to serve as a standby unit in the San Joaquin Delta region.
Courtesy, Wagon Wheels, Colusa County Historical Society
- Howe Through truss bridge over Sacramento River on CA 162 Biggs Willows Road
- Glenn County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1948; rehabilitated 1961
- - Pacific-Murphy Corporation (Builder)
- Main span is a divided howe through truss design. West approach is a Pratt through truss.
Length of largest span: 292.0 ft.
Total length: 4,389.3 ft. (0.8 mi.)
Deck width: 25.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.4 ft.
- Also called
- Highway 162 Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.45667, -121.99500 (decimal degrees)
39°27'24" N, 121°59'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/586463/4367937 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Butte City
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory numbers
- CA 11-17 (California bridge number)
BH 10884 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2015)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 65.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 11, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Riveted"
- January 19, 2016: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- December 10, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- November 14, 2011: Updated by Craig Philpott: Added builder info
- March 9, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: Added street view
- March 6, 2010: Updated by Craig Philpott: Updated design, corrected build year, added photos