Leimert Bridge Plaque
Historic Landmark Plaque dedicated to Leimert Bridge over Sausal Creek in Diamond Canyon, Oakland, California
Photo taken by Mike Buckley in July 2011
The bridge was built by the Park Boulevard Company, owned by Oakland real estate developers Walter and Harry Leimert, to give easy access via a road and street car line serving their real estate developments on the south side of deep Diamond Canyon, through which Sausal Creek flows, and connect with their developments along Park Boulevard on the north side of the canyon. Park Boulevard connected these developments with downtown Oakland. The bridge has been declared Oakland Landmark number 40. The designer was the talented engineer, George Posey, who designed the Posey Tube connecting Oakland and the Island of Alameda under the Oakland Estuary.
Today tall trees and other shrubs growing in Diamond Canyon almost completely obscure the bridge.
- Concrete arch bridge over Diamond Canyon in Oakland, California; carries Leimert Boulevard over canyon.
- Oakland, Alameda County, California
- Open to traffic
- Built 1926 to promote real estate development on south side of canyon.
- - Park Boulevard Co.
- Open spandrel concrete deck arch
Length of largest span: 172.9 ft.
Total length: 357.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Also called
- Sausal Creek Arch Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.81222, -122.21361 (decimal degrees)
37°48'44" N, 122°12'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/569219/4185272 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Oakland East
- 500 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- CA 33C-215 (California bridge number)
BH 10792 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 11/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 52.3 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- November 26, 2011: New Street View added by Craig Philpott
- August 4, 2011: Updated by Mike Buckley: Fixed typo in last paragraph of description.
- July 31, 2011: Updated by Mike Buckley: More detail