Photo taken July 2003 and provided by the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department
BH Photo #101140
The Missouri & North Arkansas Railroad Bridge at Shirley, Arkansas is an example of a Baltimore through truss, a modification of the Pratt truss development by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1871. This structure is of interest as a former railroad bridge adapted for use as a roadway bridge.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Through truss bridge over Middle Fork Little Red River on River Road (CR 125) just outside of Shirley
- Van Buren County, Arkansas
- Open to one-lane traffic
- Built 1908 by the Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co. as a railroad bridge; rehabilitated 1978
- - Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- - Missouri & North Arkansas Railway (M&NA)
- Warren through truss with sub-panels and verticals
Length of largest span: 153.8 ft.
Total length: 339.8 ft.
Deck width: 8.2 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 20.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 21, 2010
- Also called
- Missouri & North Arkansas Railroad Bridge
Middle Fork Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.65927, -92.32257 (decimal degrees)
35°39'33" N, 92°19'21" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/561317/3946368 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 12 N., R. 13 W., Sec. 24
- Inventory numbers
- AHTD 20045 (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. bridge number)
NRHP 09001260 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 10638 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 04/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 5.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1987)
- February 28, 2014: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- August 25, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Removed category "Missouri & North Arkansas RailroAdded category "Missouri & North Arkansas Railway"
- January 9, 2012: HAER photos posted by J.P.
- January 1, 2012: New photo from Lisa Hyde
- January 1, 2012: Updated by Tony Dillon: Changed truss type
- December 31, 2011: New photo from Lisa Hyde
- January 29, 2010: Updated by James Baughn: Posted to the National Register
- December 11, 2009: Updated by David Backlin: Added railroad name
- August 23, 2008: Updated history
- January 5, 2005: Added diagram
- Fred Garcia
- David Backlin - us71 [at] cox [dot] net
- James Baughn - webmaster [at] bridgehunter [dot] com
- Lisa Hyde
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER AR-76 - Missouri & North Arkansas Railroad Bridge, Spanning Middle Fork Little Red River, Shirley, Van Buren County, AR
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net