Rating:
No votes cast

Vache Grasse Creek Railroad Bridge

Photos 

Photo taken by Gene McCluney in March 2009

Enlarge

BH Photo #136330

Map 

Essay 

Written by Gene McCluney

This bridge was part of the Frisco railroad line that ran east from Fort Smith through Lavaca and points east, at times following Hwy 22. More recently the line is leased and operated by the Fort Smith Railroad, which has abandoned the line starting several miles west of this bridge. All the tracks have been removed.

Facts 

Overview
Abandoned through plate girder railroad bridge over Vache Grasse Creek near Central City
Location
Central City, Sebastian County, Arkansas
Status
Abandoned
Railroad
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
Design
Through plate girder
Approximate latitude, longitude
+35.33190, -94.22811   (decimal degrees)
35°19'55" N, 94°13'41" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/388384/3910542 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Lavaca
Inventory number
BH 42179 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

Abandoned (3,314)
Arkansas (1,708)
Central City, Arkansas (1)
Girder (9,022)
Plate girder (6,860)
Railroad (14,250)
Sebastian County, Arkansas (78)
Through girder (3,347)
Union Pacific Railroad (2,138)

Update Log 

  • March 2, 2012: New photos from J Randall Houp
  • April 1, 2009: Essay added by Gene McCluney

Sources 

Comments 

Vache Grasse Creek Railroad Bridge
Posted May 9, 2009, by Randall Houp (ghostbridgehunter [at] yahoo [dot] com)

This bridge and this railroad was never any part of the Frisco Railroad. The Missouri-Pacific Railroad operated this line from its beginning in 1899 until it was closed in the 1970s/1980s. From Ft. Smith it ran east to the coal fields in Paris and Subiaco. A few years later it was extended further east to Dardanelle. In about 1907 it was connected to the Dardanelle, Ola & Southern RR which allowed it to connect to the Rock Island at Ola. This allowed a direct route to Little Rock. The D.O.S. Railroad operated until about 1938. (This data from various Fort Smith, Paris, & Dardanelle Newspapers).