Fort Smith-Van Buren Free Bridge
Composite photo showing the lift span up and down.
Vintage photo provided by Gene McCluney
BH Photo #129857
This bridge carried 2 sets of trolley car tracks inside the trusses, and 2 automobile lanes cantilevered on the outside of the trusses
- Lost through truss vertical-lift bridge over Arkansas River on Midland Boulevard (US 71) in Fort Smith
- Van Buren, Sebastian County, Arkansas, and Crawford County, Arkansas
- Replaced by new bridge as part of the Kerr-McClellan Arkansas River navigation project.
- Built 1912; Refurbished 1956; Replaced 1969
- - Foster-Creighton-Gould Co. of Nashville, Tennessee
- Kansas City Bridge Co. of Kansas City, Missouri
- Waddell & Harrington of Kansas City, Missouri (Vertical Lift Designer)
- - Fort Smith Light & Traction Co (FSL&T)
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 196.0 ft.
Total length: 1,764.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.43031, -94.35684 (decimal degrees)
35°25'49" N, 94°21'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/376833/3921610 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Van Buren
- Inventory number
- BH 38331 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 19, 2016: New photos from Dave King
- January 21, 2016: Updated by Luke: Added lift designer + streetcar stuff
- April 8, 2009: New photo from Gene McCluney
- March 8, 2009: New photo from Gene McCluney
- March 6, 2009: New photo from David Backlin
- December 28, 2008: Updated by David Backlin: Added USGS Info
- December 7, 2008: Added by Gene McCluney