Rating:
No votes cast

Ben Laney Bridge

Photos 

View from a distance

Photo taken Oct. 2001 by Wayne Kizziar

BH Photo #100735

Map 

Street View 

Facts 

Overview
Three-span pony truss bridge over Ouachita River on US 79B in Camden
Location
Camden, Ouachita County, Arkansas
Status
Open to traffic
History
Construction started December 8, 1945 by the D.F. Jones Construction Co.; dedicated April 16, 1947, replacing the earlier Martin Bridge
Builder
- D.F. Jones Construction Co. of Little Rock, Arkansas
Design
Three riveted, 7-panel Pratt pony trusses
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 128.9 ft.
Total length: 999.7 ft.
Deck width: 23.9 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 9, 2000
Approximate latitude, longitude
+33.59671, -92.81803   (decimal degrees)
33°35'48" N, 92°49'05" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/516883/3717455 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Camden
Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
3,900
Inventory numbers
AHTD 02466 (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. bridge number)
NRHP 00000633 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
AHTD 2466 (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. bridge number)
BH 10472 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of December 2016)
Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 55.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • May 3, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth

Sources 

Comments 

Ben Laney Bridge
Posted June 19, 2012, by RBBrittain (rbbrittain [at] yahoo [dot] com)

AHTD has the plans for this bridge posted on the "historic bridges" page of their website. Those plans, consistent with the other comment and Street View, confirm that the Laney Bridge's west approach was originally built for the Martin Bridge, apparently in 1934; the sidewalks on each side of that approach were bolted on when the rest of the Laney Bridge was built in 1947. The concrete railings on the west approach match those in this site's photo of the Martin Bridge, taken in 1939; they change from concrete to metal (and the sidewalks move from outside to inside the railings) at the west end of the main spans, clearly the transition between the 1934 and 1947 structures.

Ben Laney Bridge
Posted September 7, 2009, by Fredrick Garcia (fandsgarcia [at] gmail [dot] com)

Visited this bridge on 6 Sept '09. On the west approach to the Ben Laney Bridge there is a bronze plaque with date of 1934 - possibly from the Martin Bridge that was replaced. The approaches for this bridge also feature walkways or both sides. See attached photos.

Webmaster's note: The photos that were here have been incorporated into the main site.