Six Mile Creek Bridge
Photo contributed by Sonja Fletcher
Six Mile Creek Bridge on N. Carbon City Road. This initial Photo and info. is courtesy of Sonja Fletcher of the town of Paris just a few miles east of this bridge. She stated " Six Mile Creek Bridge on Carbon City Road w/(then Logan Co.Judge)Buster Tritt and unknown." Bridge hunter Randall Houp has done extensive research on Logan County Ark. Bridges and I feel he can contribute more relevant information on this lost span as all i am contributing is Ms. Fletcher's photo and stmt. This photo is most likely mid-late 70's as that was Judge Tritt's tenure with Logan Co. I remember doing a construction job at this brige in the early 80's and it had already been replaced.
Written by J. Randall Houp
The Goldsworthy Ford Bridge was approved for construction by the Logan County Court in 1905 at the same time as the Buttram Ford Bridge across the Petit Jean River at Sugar Grove, Arkansas. Both bridges were completed in 1906 by the Joliet Bridge & Iron Company of Joliet, Illinois. The steel piers originally used still exist on the east side of the new bridge and can be seen during low water. In 1975, a heavily loaded coal truck seriously damaged this old relic while crossing the bridge despite the posting at the bridge of a warning of a 3-ton limit. (Doesn't this sound familiar?) In 1906, this bridge cost Logan County, Arkansas $2,000. The new "cement ugly" bridge that was built in 1978 and replaced the old Goldsworthy Ford Bridge cost $247,294.
- Lost Pony truss bridge over Six Mile Creek on County Rd D 65 (Carbon City Rd)
- Carbon City, Logan County, Arkansas
- Replaced 1978
- - Joliet Bridge & Iron Co. of Joliet, Illinois
- Pony truss
Length of largest span: 85.0 ft.
Total length: 185.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
- Also called
- Tom Fite Bridge
Goldsworthy Ford Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.33028, -93.79111 (decimal degrees)
35°19'49" N, 93°47'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/428100/3909957 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 58960 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 27, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builder
- January 19, 2014: Essay added by J. Randall Houp
- December 10, 2013: Added by Charles Bowden
- Charles Bowden - charliesmail101 [at] gmail [dot] com
- J. Randall Houp