Kiamichi - Red Bluff Bridge
Red Bluff Railroad Bridge Swing Span
The Full Bridge as it appeared in 2011. Notice the collapsed pier far left.
Photo taken by Austin Ardwin
BH Photo #362497
The St. Louis–San Francisco Railway crossed the Little River in 1895 at Red Bluff. Red Bluff was at that time a small but thriving community, and the railroad profited from the virgin timber industry of the area. According to locals, the bridge was designed to facilitate steamboats and the swing span operated until the great depression.
The Frisco Railroad was sold to Burlington Northern in 1980, who in turn sold the line to the Kiamichi Railroad company in 1987, who has owned the bridge ever since.
Not much is known about the bridge. The easternmost pier collapsed in the 1980's, and was replaced by the metal pier seen above.
- August 30, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- August 28, 2016: Added by Austin Ardwin