Rating:
1 vote

Lakefront Resort Bridge

Photos 

Side view

Photo taken by Fredrick Garcia

BH Photo #100278

Map 

Description 

Built in 1936 by WPA, the bridge originally crossed the Missouri & Northern Arkansas Railroad. The railroad ceased operation in 1949 and the tracks were removed. The bridge now crosses a branch of Greers Ferry Lake constructed in 1959.

Facts 

Overview
Concrete arch bridge on Edgemont Rd (Old AR 16) at Lakefront Resort, near Edgemont
Location
Cleburne County, Arkansas
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1938 by the Works Progress Administration
Builders
- O.B. Robbins of Heber Springs, Arkansas
- Works Progress Administration
Railroad
- Missouri & Northern Arkansas Railroad (MNA)
Design
Closed-spandrel arch
Dimensions
Total length: 78.5 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 11, 2011
Approximate latitude, longitude
+35.60241, -92.18824   (decimal degrees)
35°36'09" N, 92°11'18" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/573528/3940155 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Greers Ferry
Inventory numbers
NRHP 11000262 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 10278 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • April 16, 2017: Updated by David Backlin: Added length, width
  • May 23, 2007: Posted photos from Fredrick Garcia

Sources 

Comments 

Lakefront Resort Bridge
Posted February 28, 2012, by Jeff Baggett (roundhouse [at] hotmail [dot] com)

The channel underneath this bridge is actually the Edgemont cut for the abandoned Missouri & North Arkansas railroad. The old railroad bed can be seen entering the cut from the lake south of the bridge and gently curving through to the old river channel on the other end. The railroad was primarily constructed beside the river, with several cuts such as this one to shorten the route.