Photo taken May 2005 by Keith Stephens
BH Photo #100051
The Cotter Bridge is the only bridge in Arkansas known to be designed and engineered by the Marsh Engineering Company, a significant twentieth-century bridge-building company. Among the largest they ever designed, it is also an excellent example of the company's patented Marsh Rainbow Arch. A unique feature of the bridge is that it was constructed by means of a cableway, suspended across the river, over which all materials were transported to various parts of the structure. The Cotter Bridge was instrumental in making accessible a new region of the Ozarks, an important recreational area in the United States. It became Arkansas' first National Civil Engineering Landmark in 1986.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Six-span rainbow arch bridge over White River on US 62B at Cotter
- Cotter, Baxter County, Arkansas, and Marion County, Arkansas
- Open to two-lane traffic
- Built 1930 by the Marsh Engineering Co. and Bateman Contracting Co.; rehabilitated 2003-04
- - Bateman Contracting Co. of Nashville, Tennessee
- Marsh Engineering Co. of Des Moines, Iowa
- From west to east:
Nine deck girder approach spans, total length approx. 471 ft.
Five Marsh through arch spans, length of each 216 feet
Three deck girder approach spans, total length 141 feet
One Marsh pony arch over railroad tracks, length 132 feet
One deck girder approach span, length 26 feet
Length of largest span: 216.0 ft.
Total length: 1,804.6 ft.
Deck width: 23.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 25.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 4, 1990
- Also called
- R.M. Ruthven Bridge (official name)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.26723, -92.54405 (decimal degrees)
36°16'02" N, 92°32'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/540954/4013685 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- AHTD 00702 (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. bridge number)
NRHP 90000518 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
AHTD 702 (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. bridge number)
BH 10207 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 11/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 51.3 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- January 26, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- November 8, 2013: New photos from Shane Passmore
- August 19, 2011: New photo from Lisa Hyde
- September 12, 2008: Updated by David Backlin
- June 1, 2005: Posted new photos from Keith Stephens