Smith Chapel Road Bridge
Photo taken by Ben Tate in May 2011
BH Photo #199362
Bridge is in the process of being demolished and scrapped. Walker County now has no remaining pinned pony truss bridges.
- Pony truss bridge over Mill Creek on Smith Chapel Road in Carbon Hill
- Walker County, Alabama
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1915, closed June 2013, replaced in summer of 2014
- Pinned Pratt pony truss
Length of largest span: 69.9 ft.
Total length: 141.1 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.89601, -87.49691 (decimal degrees)
33°53'46" N, 87°29'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/454055/3750736 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 1991)
- Inventory numbers
- AL 87 (Alabama bridge number)
BH 10199 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2013)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 19.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 14, 2014: Updated by Zachary S: Bridge is in the process of being demolished and scrapped.
- June 4, 2014: New photos from Zachary S
- June 2, 2013: Updated by Zachary S: Bridge is now closed and scheduled for replacement
- June 9, 2011: New photos from Ben Tate
- May 20, 2011: Updated by Tony Dillon: Changed from Deck to pony truss
- May 20, 2011: New photo from Ben Tate