Southern Railroad Drawbridge
2 railroads share this common drawbridge over the Tennessee River.
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in December 2008
BH Photo #131013
Both CSX and Norfolk Southern share this common Tennessee River crossing. Norfolk Southern owns the tracks and the bridge, and leases space to CSX for its crossing.
- Vertical Lift Drawbridge over Tennessee River in Decatur
- Decatur, Limestone County, Alabama, and Morgan County, Alabama
- Open to traffic
- First bridge built on this spot was burned during the Civil War, replaced with a pontoon bridge. A swing bridge was built in 1885, and it was replaced by this modern drawbridge in 1978-79.
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Cambelback Warrn Vertical Lift Drawbridge
Length of largest span: 400.0 ft.
Total length: 1,200.0 ft.
- Also called
- Decatur Drawbridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.61776, -86.98134 (decimal degrees)
34°37'04" N, 86°58'53" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/501710/3830655 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 38441 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 29, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- September 27, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- August 28, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- July 31, 2011: New photos from Ben Tate
- January 2, 2010: Updated by Calvin Sneed: http://www.csx.com/
- December 28, 2008: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Ben Tate - benji5221 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Douglas Butler
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com