B.B. Comer Bridge
Photo taken by Sheila Fossett
BH Photo #100019
This video is a compilation of photographs taken during construction of the Comer Bridge and now. The bridge has a rich history and a bright future for future generations!
Compiled and edited by Arnold Wheeler. Present day photographs by Arnold Wheeler, Clyde Brosdway, and Caroline Lynch Minor.
Play video on YouTube
An osprey enjoys a late afternoon / early evening flight over the Comer Bridge.
Caroline Lynch Minor
Play video on YouTube
Last Drive Over B.B. Comer Bridge
Triple R BBQ via Facebook
Comer Bridge Foundation website - http://www.comerbridge.org
Named to Register of Alabama Historic Commission - November 1, 2013
October 31, 2013 the Comer Bridge was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
- Cantilevered Warren through truss bridge over Tennessee River on State Highway 35 at Scottsboro
- Scottsboro, Jackson County, Alabama
- Demolished June 2, 2016
- Built 1930; Demolished 2016
- - Kansas City Bridge Co. of Kansas City, Missouri
- Cantilevered Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 310.1 ft.
Total length: 2,143.1 ft. (0.4 mi.)
Deck width: 19.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Scottsboro Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.64103, -85.97722 (decimal degrees)
34°38'28" N, 85°58'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/593737/3833711 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 608 ft. above sea level
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numers
- AL 784 (Alabama bridge number)
BH 10134 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 34.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 27, 2016: New photos from Tim Colquett
- June 3, 2016: Updated by David Backlin: Updated status to Lost
- May 3, 2016: New video from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- April 29, 2016: Updated by James F. Gentner: Bridge is now closed, and awaiting demolition.
- December 8, 2015: Updated by Calvin Sneed: Despite offer of $1 million dollars to preserve and maintain the bridge, the Jackson County Commission fails to act. This one hurts deeply: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/nov/27
- November 16, 2015: Updated by Jason Smith: In an unexpected move, Jackson Co. officials moved to deny the request for a vote on preserving the bridge and signed off on the demolition contract. Bridge is expected to be removed in 2016
- March 17, 2014: Updated by Caroline Lynch Minor: Update on adding bridge to Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage Oct. 32,2013
- October 24, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added city
- October 14, 2013: Updated by Caroline Lynch Minor: Added category "Websites"
- September 1, 2013: Updated by Julie Bowers: changed builder.
- March 17, 2013: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- July 10, 2010: Updated by Calvin Sneed: Change Street View orientation: View should always be from shore to shore, not from middle of bridge
- April 22, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- April 22, 2010: New photo from James Legg
- July 6, 2009: Updated by Kim Harvey: alternate name, future prospects
- October 2, 2006: Posted photos from Sheila Fossett