Bridgeport Railroad Walking Bridge
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in December 2008
BH Photo #130994
The existing masonry piers and abutments, originally constructed in 1851, have been modified over the years. The superstructure was destroyed and rebuilt twice during the Civil War. Five of the existing deck truss spans were reconstructed in 1887, and the other four spans were reconstructed in 1900. Center trusses were added to each span in 1930 to increase the load capacity. Several of the stone foundations have been strengthened while others are the originals.
- Walking bridge, converted from a former L & N Railroad deck truss bridge
- Bridgeport, Jackson County, Alabama
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1887; four spans built 1900; Trusses modified in the 1930s
- - Louisville & Nashville Railroad (LN)
- Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway
- Nine span pin-connected Warren deck truss
Total length: 1,470.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.95293, -85.70257 (decimal degrees)
34°57'11" N, 85°42'09" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/618463/3868591 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 38442 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 2, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- September 20, 2015: Updated by Luke: Corrected build date from 1851 to 1887
- July 10, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway", "Louisville & Nashville Railroad", "Railroad"
- May 12, 2013: New photos from Zachary S
- December 12, 2011: Updated by J.P.: Added category "Civil War"
- March 1, 2011: Updated by J.P.: added location
- January 2, 2010: Updated by Calvin Sneed: http://www.csx.com/
- December 28, 2008: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Zachary S