Rating:
No votes cast

High Falls Bridge

Photos 

First covered bridge

This bridge had a span that wasnít covered. Sorry for the quality.

Photo taken by Ben Tate in December 2019

Enlarge

BH Photo #463285

Description 

In 1923, a covered bridge was built over Town Creek to make crossing easier when the water was high. The original bridge had one section left uncovered. Eventually the planks on the side of the covered portion were removed because allegedly mules were afraid to cross through the dark/covered portion of the bridge with the sound of the creek below. In 1950, the bridge burned. In 1998, a pedestrian bridge(MOB) was built by Steadfast Bridges in nearby Fort Payne.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Covered Bridge over Town Creek on Co Rd 144
Location
De Kalb County, Alabama
Status
Destroyed by fire
History
Built 1923; Burned 1950
Design
Lattice through truss
Approximate latitude, longitude
+34.39965, -86.06678   (decimal degrees)
34°23'59" N, 86°04'00" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/585776/3806864 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 87627 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

Alabama (1,014)
Built 1923 (641)
Built during 1920s (10,257)
Covered (1,979)
De Kalb County, Alabama (25)
Destroyed by fire (238)
Lattice through truss (636)
Lattice truss (670)
Lost (28,529)
Lost 1950 (74)
Lost during 1950s (868)
Through truss (16,816)
Truss (35,500)
Wooden deck (6,162)

Update Log 

  • December 30, 2019: New photos from Ben Tate

Sources 

  • Ben Tate - benji5221 [at] yahoo [dot] com