Old Union Crossing Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in July 2011
The wooden deck of this bridge was damaged by Hurricane Ivan in 2004, and was repaired in 2 years. Supports vehicle traffic, but primarily used by horseback riders from the nearby Shady Grove Dude Ranch.
- Warren through truss wooden bridge over Little River, West Fork on County Road 614
- De Kalb County, Alabama
- Open to traffic
- Original covered bridge built by Union Army in 1864, covered Kingpost truss portion moved to current location and rebuilt on existing steel cable bridge in 1972, rebuilt and restored by Jack Jones, 1980
- The bridge is a wooden design of a Warren truss bridge, also with a wooden deck, built on top of a steel cable and truss foundation. It is a 3-tiered bridge, resting on two piers of iron and one of solid rock. Vertical stringers replaced the slanted stringers on the original steel cabled bridge foundation.
Total length: 90.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.53429, -85.59901 (decimal degrees)
34°32'03" N, 85°35'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/628567/3822291 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Valley Head
- Inventory number
- BH 49299 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 4, 2013: Updated by Ben Tate: Added category "Civil War"
- August 7, 2011: New video from Calvin Sneed
- August 6, 2011: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com